This conversation is held that involves the following 5 questions as well as other interesting places we take the conversation along the way.
1. What is more dangerous for the future of humanity, nihilism or dogmatism? What are the dangers of each?
2. What are the most important aspects of developing a spiritual life out of nothing?
3. How do you involve young children in a spiritual life outside of religion?
4. How do we transfer over spiritual institutions to a secular world (chaplains, churches, pastors, etc.). How do secular leaders make a living doing spiritual work in the world?
5. How do you build communities around secular morals? What are the new innovations in this field? How are people filling spiritual voids after religion?
Esther Perel Where Should We Begin
Jordan Peterson & Sam Harris Debates
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
I loved this episode. You each articulated the problems, benefits, and dilemmas we face when the way we were taught spirituality in the church has been narrow. Thank you each for your perspectives, so much rang true to me. I was wondering if I could get in better touch with Brittney to discuss ideas/solutions for providing that spiritual base and community with children? My husband and I have done similar deliberate work to make the effort to make and keep traditions and rituals and teaching for our family, but I would like to expand our approach to spirituality with them. Is there a good e-mail I could correspond with Brittney? Thank you!
Wow, this episode really is pure gold. I made the mistake of going to listen to the Sam Harris – Jordan Peterson debate first. Something I have been wanting to do for a long time.
But you guys did a great job of summarizing that and then taking it a step or two further.
This episode helped me understand what our family members are going through.